First of all, nearly everyone used IBM drives at one point. When
you could produce the volume needed at a price you couldn't
argue with why not buy? My pile of dead or nearly dead laptop
drives is 80% IBM/Hitachi. 19% Fujitsu & Toshiba. Maybe a couple
Seagate and not more than one or two WD or Samsung. Really don't
see WD laptop drives that often.

FWIW, IBM only sold 70% of its drive business (or the assets) to
Hitachi. That was shortly after the beginning of the DeathStar
debacle.

Buying a Mac (laptop) is a really poor excuse to get a new
computer. It isn't as if the hardware is more or less reliable
than any other computer. One thing I do recommend to *anybody*
considering a Mac, get the extened warranty no questions asked.
They cost way too much to repair and I refuse to work on them
any more.

The hardware nazi,
Mr O.

<roger wrote:>
Also, Dell laptops use to use IBM hard drives until they sold
their
hard
drive business overseas to Hitachi.