The number for region-free is 0, casually speaking. According to
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code#PAL.2FSECAM_vs._NTSC
"Informal term meaning "worldwide". Region 0 is not an official setting; discs
that bear the region 0 symbol either have no flag set or have region 1-6 flags
set."

One can order region-free players online. People in research and journalism
tend

to have those. I'll try to get access to one of those.

BTW, one aspect I had mentioned in my original post was that I am running into
issues already on the file system level (for specific files only), simple 'cp'
or 'file' commands, and that encryption seems to be an issue. I am not putting
any more work into this until I have seen the DVD actually being played on a
region-free

player.

Thanks to all of you for comments and suggestion..................Horst