I just wanted to clear up some stuff for everyone. While trying to not
quote the Wikipedia entries on PAL and NTSC, the difference comes down
to how many scan lines and frames/fields per second they supported.

        NTSC
        PAL
Scan Lines (total)
        525
        625
Scan Lines (visible)
        486
        576
Scan Lines (DTV)
        480
        576
Frames per second
        29.97
        25
Fields per second
        59.94
        50

This means that there are more "lines" in PAL, in the over-the-air
broadcast world, NTSC had better color potential, but also had the
potential of the color being "out of phase", that is why you have a HUE
control on analog NTSC TV's.

As for DVD and NTSC/PAL, the only difference is that "most" application
end up playing movies shot on film, at 24 frames per second, a little
faster if encoded into PAL format. Some DVD playing software can correct
for this.

As for Horst, I don't think the problem is inherently the region of the
DVD, since the other Region 2 DVD reads just fine. I think there is
something about the disc that his drive just doesn't like. It is
possible that there was a problem in the manufacturing of the disc
itself. You should wait until you have seen it played on another player.

Thanks,

Chris LeBlanc