>From: Chris LeBlanc <leblanc...@gmail.com>
>Sent: Wed, October 27, 2010 2:39:10 PM
>Subject: Re: [Eug-lug] DVD, Region Code 2, 5.8 GiB, 2 Layers -- HowTo ?

Chris,
Thanks for summarizing on PAL vs. NTSC, and both TV(over the 'air') and
digital(DVD), plus the anachronistic(at least so I think) HUE correction. The
latter seems useful/needed when correcting for a skewed phase modulation
situation (non-issue in the digital world)

Also thanks to Alan for several suggestions for playing videos on Linux (that's
what I want), and how to get region-free players.

>As for Horst, I don't think the problem is inherently the region of the DVD,
>since the other Region 2 DVD reads just fine. I think there is something about
>the disc that his drive just doesn't like.

  RIGHT ON. K3b failed in no time with "Disk encrypted" msg (no funny drive
searching and clicking like with disks that are damaged). And as I said, a
simple cp command did fine with some of the files but failed on others. I
forgot

to let cfdisk look at the file system. Nor did I try a straight dd of /dev/xxx.
I guess, encryption on a DVD is a different animal than with a file or file
system image on a hard drive. In the latter case you can still look at the
streaming garbage -- the DVD drive refuses to even deliver that. Conspiracy.

>problem in the manufacturing of the disc itself. You should wait until you
>have

>seen it played on another player.
  YES. I'll know more by Thu. night -- I gave the DVD to someone with a
region-free player.

Great feedback from all!