From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, November 01, 2002 2:49 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Guidance System for Icepick I, and Cryobot thoughts

         I was looking over the Galileo mission photos of Europa and see many colored photos that show plenty of sediments -- minerals that are not water. They are not sure what they are and may be just higher concentrations of salt but even a salt vein or pockets would be considered debris to avoid in. And asteroids do collect on the surface and get covered with ice like in Antarctica, they don't have a good computer model to calculate how many asteroid craters they should see on Europa because of Jupiter's "vacuum" effect.
         So we should assume that sediments of some sort should be avoided and a guidance system to match.