----- Original Message -----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, November 02, 2002 6:11 PM
Subject: Re: Guidance System for Icepick I, and Cryobot thoughts

In a message dated 11/1/2002 8:04:34 AM Alaskan Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

Would information regarding MIT's Robopike (a robot
that imitates the behavior of a fish) be of use to Icepick?

Relevant URL:

http://web.mit.edu/towtank/www/pike/

Larry

Yes, I think so, particularly considering that so far, we haven't come up
with a good means of steering this beast.  I have considerable concerns that
if/when a terrestial Icepick is developed (let along a Europa/Mars version),
it could be completely blocked by a rock the size of a fist.
If we could figure out some way to wiggle past such obstacles, we would have
done a huge leap forward for this project.
_____________________

Well, if the article is correct, simple differential melting at the nose of
a rigid-body Cryobot does a surprisingly effective job of allowing it to
quickly veer at relatively sharp angles -- so any sonar or radar obstacle
detection system capable of seeing obstacles more than a few dozen meters
ahead of the Cryobot will probably be adequate to let it dodge around any
boulders it's likely to encounter.
_______________________

Bruce Moomaw's article, suggesting, as Robt. Bradbury pointed out, that we
need AT LEAST a kW of power also concerns me, and suggests that we are going
to have to come up with some heating source from chemical interaction
(thermite/thermate/magnesium, etc), instead of merely relying on electricity
from a battery.
It's also interesting that the probe developed in the 1960s did have
considerable trouble with meltwater, so much that they went to the trouble
of pumping it back out of the hole.  Read Moomaw's first extract on that
test.
________________________

I think we had better face facts: it will be impossible to give a Cryobot a
self-contained power source adequate for its purposes using onboard
batteries.  All Cryobots, including the ones NASA itself uses, will have to
be heated either by onboard Pu-238 (which we ain't got, thank God), or --
for Earth-based Cryobots, or relatively shallow planetary ones penetrating
only a short distance -- by a substantial amount of electricity supplied
through a cable from the surface lander.

The last I heard, the team designing the possible 2007 "CryoScout" Mars
Scout mission to penetrate a hundred meters or so through Mars' north polar
icecap were still undecided about whether its Cryobot would use a very small
supply of onboard Pu-238, or electricity supplied from the surface lander.
It's time I talked to them again, to see what they're willing to tell me
(although that may not be much, since the competition to pick the four
finalists from the 20 Mars Scout proposals offered isn't scheduled to be
settled until December 4 and the teams are all very close-mouthed until
then).

Side note: CryoScout is one of at least four Mars Scout proposals that would
use the 2001 Mars Surveyor Lander, which was almost completely built before
the mission was cancelled.  There's a real chance that thing will end up
flying to Mars after all.