> 1.  Look it up.  There are class action lawsuits and investigations.  My
mom's
> pack "failed" at 70,000.  Pathetic.  Barely making warranty mileage (on
> average) is the very definition of failure.  Their "fix" is to reprogram
the
> computer so the battery is barely used.  So now you have a hybrid that is
not
> really a hybrid and doesn't meet the EPA mileage claims.

'Look it up' ? If you are trying to convince me of something, then give me
some facts... you're not doing a very good job of convincing me if you tell
me to look it up and do your homework. I hope that you don't believe
everybody that says 'believe me'...

Nothing lasts forever... motors fail, transmissions fail, water pumps fail,
hoses fail, battery packs fail and if the part fails within the warranty
period it is replaced. Was your mom's pack failure with the warranty period?
The transmission in my diesel F-250 failed at 76,000 miles/2.5 years, it was
replaced under warranty... My Insight battery pack failed at 160,000 miles/8
years, I had to pay for a replacement because it was over 157,000 mile
warranty.

I don't have to look it up, I know it. There has only been one major class
action Insight suit against Honda and it was for the odometer. It turns out
that the odometer on certain years was not correct and so Honda extended the
warranty for the affected years from 150,00 to 157,00 miles. So to imply
that there are many class action suits against Honda for the Insight is
incorrect. And what does 'investigation' mean? Private Detectives? Ron,
Mike, Eli, Peter and others 'investigating' on their own how to better the
Insight?

In a separate letter to Honda owners -  "American Honda is announcing a
product update to replace certain IMA components to help prevent IMA battery
deterioration. We are also announcing a warranty extension for the IMA
battery."  So yes, they saw there was a problem, they acknowledged the
problem, they provided a solution and then they provided a warranty
extension for the part. Pretty good in my mind.

I'm well aware of the problems with the Gen 1 Insight battery pack, but it
is nowhere as 'pathetic' as you state. In any case for a car that gets 60
MPG GREAT!!!! Mine has a lifetime MPG of 57.6, others have in the 60's some
in the 70's. What is the LMPG of your car.

There was recently a lawsuit against Honda that was won by the owner of a
Honda Civic for not achieving stated fuel economy. But that was for a Civic.

The Insight BCM, Battery Control Module limits the available usage of the
NiMH 144v battery pack from about 20% to 80%, which has been mimicked by all
the Hybrid and OEM EV's. None of them let the SOC fall below about 20% and
none of them let the pack be charged to more than about 80% to prolong the
life of the pack. So it looks like the Insight was a forerunner and
established an industry standard.

By the way, as I'm sure you know, there is a whole forum dedicated to the
Insight, www.Insightcentral.net. I'm sure if you post about the problems
your mom's Insight has, you'd would get lots of help if you want it.

> 2. This has turned into a Nimh vs. Lifepo4 debate. This has already been
> hashed over and over on other forums such as V is for Voltage. This does
not
> seem to be worth debating.  I have yet to see a test where the Nimh
> outperforms the Lifepo4.  Does anyone have such data?  On the contrary
> there are many reports that under the same conditions the Lifepo4 is
> superior.

 Nobody has turned this thread into a debate... You stated your 'opinion' -
'pathetic'.  I've replied with some facts and my personal experience. You
say there are many reports... what reports, where are they, give us some
links. To just blindly state 'there are reports' is, in my mind,
meaningless. Put some empirical data in front of us instead of words like
'pathetic', provide facts. If you want to continue to 'hash over' or
'debate', then stay on the other forums.

> 3.  Smoothing the graph or having a relatively small sample size does not
> change the outcome.  The sample is of sufficient size that it would be a
> statistical rabbit trick to say that the lab conditions are more gentle
than real
> life (on average).  All vehicles produced are not part of the test.  Ford
Escape
> Hybrid taxis in NY have logged upwards of 175,000 miles on Nimh and still
> going...  Great.  Now Ford is moving to what I believe is a superior
battery
> chemistry.  If implemented properly, the next generation results should be
> even better.  Ninh has a fairly spotty record in production vehicles.
Let's
> hope Lifepo4 does a bit better.

I think all that was being said was that it seems that the Ford Lithium
statements seemed like 'forward looking statements' that many companies make
to dress up their product,  make their product seem better. Just like drug
companies that advertise their product and then have 20 pages of 'watch out
for these side effects'.

Why can't Ford publish the full report? Or at least provide a link where it
can be viewed? I'll bet if they charged $50 or so, like the SAE does for
full specifications, then people would spend the 50 or so for the full
report.

> 4.  Does everyone here know where they fall in the Meyers Briggs
> personality test?  The arguments made tell much more about an individuals
> perception of the data than the data itself.  It is very useful to at
least be
> aware of where you are in relation to others.  People without this
> awareness often think they are "right".  In reality we all skew the data
in our
> minds, focusing on certain aspects more than others.

What???  Are you going to provide a graph so that we can see where on the
Meyers Briggs.....

And I couldn't agree with you more, we ALL skew our data... but the goal
should be to present accurate data so others can draw similar conclusions
and then move on to the next step.

Rush
www.TucsonEV.com