This link was posted over on Insight Central and I wondered if it
might help for those wanting to check the accuracy of their DMM
voltage readings: http://geoffg.net/Voltage_Reference.html. It looks
quite simple and am thinking of making it just to see how my meters
are doing.

Jeff, are you implying that if I want reasonably good voltage
measurements I'd be better off with a non-clamp meter? I have an
Extech EX830 so don't really know how accurate it is.

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 7:34 AM, Jeffrey Jenkins
<evnetics.j...@gmail.com> wrote:
> EVDL Administrator wrote
>> Just be careful.  Cheap multimeters are notoriously inaccurate.  Some vary
>> their readings with temperature.
>>
>> I'm not an expert, but my impression has been that clamp ammeters are
>> mostly
>> for by-guess-and-by-gosh measurement.  I don't think they're ever all that
>> accurate.  Certainly the ones I can afford aren't. ;-)
>>
>> David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
>> EVDL Administrator
>
> Yes, this. I have 3 different model Fluke clamp meters and 2 clamp probes
> that all agree within 10A at 1000A (ie - 1%). We also have 4 other different
> brand clamp meters and not a single one agrees with the others, much less
> the Flukes, and are off anywhere from 30A, at best, to 100A typical (and
> invariably they read low, which is especially bad in my opinion).
>
> And for mV accuracy don't even think about a clamp meter... Voltage readings
> on them are more or less an afterthought, even for the Flukes.
>

> --

David D. Nelson
http://evalbum.com/1328
http://www.levforum.com