What do you mean by "fairly accurate down to thousands"? Do you mean you
want enough accuracy to read milli-amps? If so, you won't get that in an
affordable clamp-on amp-meter.

That Tenma clamp meter doesn't have very clear specifications: it lists the
accuracy for DC current as "+/-(1.5%+8)", which means up to 1.5% error,
plus eight counts. However, they never tell you how big a count is.

Assuming a count is one digit of the display and the 0-40A range lists
current as 40.00A, then 8 counts would be 80mA, so your error would be up
to 1.5% plus 80mA. However, it could be an offset of 800mA, or even 8A on
the 1000A scale.

-Morgan LaMoore