I agree - as I wrote in a post in the "Peukert" thread.  I also agree most of
us quickly develop the ability to guesstimate our range better since we take
into account the final destination and elevation changes on the way.  The
car manufacturers could do similar by giving you the option of entering your
destination, and using google maps or similar to determine elevation changes
plus gps for current vehicle location for more accurate estimates.  They
could do even better, by recording actual energy/mile used, taking pack sag
into account based on historical data for given grade and vehicle speed,
etc.  I doubt most people would bother to enter their destination though
except on longer trips - but that is where it would be most useful