You could give car owners a learning aid like I have - two batteries.

I run the smaller one till it conks out and switch over.  At work I charge
them both.  Then next day, or some other day, I start with the larger one
and drive it til it conks out and switch over.  After learning roughly
their potential mileage, I stop short of conking out and switch early.

I now start with the small one first and switch early - this winter I
learned about how the cold changes things.  Next winter I will start
keeping them warm at night.

Calling my wife to come get me is ample incentive for learning a successful
routine  (| :o)-\==<

A similar deal for cars would be a quickly declining 10s of performance at
1/2 tank then give the performance back. and again at 1/4 tank.  then 1/8
tank, and then the real performance drop.  With a big flashing computer
screen saying "I TOLD YOU SO!"

On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 11:41 AM, tomw via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> I agree - as I wrote in a post in the "Peukert" thread.  I also agree most
> of
> us quickly develop the ability to guesstimate our range better since we
> take
> into account the final destination and elevation changes on the way.  The
> car manufacturers could do similar by giving you the option of entering
> your
> destination, and using google maps or similar to determine elevation
> changes
> plus gps for current vehicle location for more accurate estimates.  They
> could do even better, by recording actual energy/mile used, taking pack sag
> into account based on historical data for given grade and vehicle speed,
> etc.  I doubt most people would bother to enter their destination though
> except on longer trips - but that is where it would be most useful
>

> --

*Dalai Lama *

Tell me what it is you plan to do
With your one wild and precious life?