> On Jun 26, 2014, at 11:37 AM, EVDL Administrator via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
> wrote:
>
> BEVs will run on electricity you can make on your rooftop or back yard.  Try
> that with an ICEV or FCV.  It can be done (veggie van anyone?), but the cost
> and complexity can be daunting and it's not for the average guy.

Very true.

> The big energy companies like the idea of FCVs because it preserves their
> effective monopoly (polyopoly?) on supplying motive energy well into the
> future, even as petroleum production declines.

Your premise is wrong. The big energy companies do *not* like FCVs.

Their response to rules requiring the installation of fueling was along the
lines of "why should we facilitate our own demise."

> Remember, hydrogen is not really a fuel. You can't pump it out of the
> ground.  You have to make it from some other fuel.

Not necessarily, unless you wish to call water a fuel.

> Most often that's
> natural gas (and IIRC the process produces more CO2 than getting an
> equivalent amount of energy by directly burning the gas).

The process produces less than  the petroleum we're trying to replace it with.
And the tailpipe emissions (the main driver for the regs) are zero.

> If it's made by electrolysis, the energy still has to come from somewhere.
> Even if it's a renewable energy source, electrolysis + a fuel cell makes for
> a painfully inefficient battery.  Don't forget that you have to transport
> the H2 from the production facility to the filling station.
>
> The notion that an ICEV's exhaust can be "cleaner than its intake" is
> ludicrous on its face. Some ICEVs have managed to reduce EPA-regulated
> compounds in the exhaust admirably.  However, there are many unregulated
> pollutants in ICEV exhaust.

Not so ludicrous, though I didn't say it did. I had a client whose small gas
turbine with innovative controls had some emission levels lower at the stack
than ambient.