> I don't know if your metric is the right one to use, but for the Tesla, I
> think that using the 85 kWh battery as a more robust solution is what I
> would use.

For an extra $500 per hour for a 30 minute highway charge?  I don’t think
so.

The smart EV driver who understands the real value-promise of EV's where
they do best (overnight charging and daily use) actually looks for the
smallest battery that meets their routine needs, not the biggest.  For
example, is it worth an extra $26,000 to be able to go an extra 57 miles
between charges on the highway?

Example, A weekly trip from Washington DC to say New York city (226 mi) in a
85kw car (265 mi range) will not need to charge along the way in good
weather, but will need to charge immediately on arrival.  The driver of a 60
kW battery (208 mi) would have to charge once along the way for say 20
minutes but then not have to stress over finding a charger immediately on
arrival.  His cost? An extra 30 minutes.

At 52 trips a year, (52 hours of charging along the way) works out to be a
cost of $500 per hour.   Of course this goes down the longer one owns the
car, but paying an extra $1000 per charge to save 30 minutes once a week is
not economical to many people.  Sure, to those that can afford it, the price
is insignificant , but they are not the ones who will be the primary
purchasers of mass EV's.

Bob, WB4APR