On Tue, 8 Jul 2014, Rick Beebe via EV wrote:
The smart EV driver would buy a leaf for $32,000 or a Smart ED for
$25,700 and spend $40 a week to rent an ICE car for their Washington to
NY trip instead of spending $40,000 extra for the Model S and having to
cool their heels at some truck stop (in both directions) waiting for
their car to charge. Or even better, take the train and get a lot of
work or rest done on the trip. Washington to NYC is one of the worst
drives in this country.

This is exactly what I do.  When I got my Leaf three years ago, I got rid
of my old ICE vehicle.  I don't have to pay to register, insure, or
maintain a second vehicle.  Budget rent-a-car has a deal that allows me to
register and pay for a car over the internet and pick it up at the San
Jose, CA airport.  The weekend rate is $20 per day.  I also pay $11 per
day to park at an off-site parking lot with a shuttle.

There is another advantage to this.  If something happens to the car while
I'm far from home, I can call Budget.  They will give me another car to
complete my trip and I presume will take care of getting the original one
fixed.  If I did this in my own car, I would have to arrange to get it
fixed, and arrange for another car while it was being fixed.  I would also
need to alter my trip plans to return the other car and get my car back.
This convenience is definitely worth $31 per day to me.  Even if my Leaf
had 200 mile range, I wouldn't use it for such trips.

Ed