Roland,

Thanks for all the detailed information. At the least, it's good to know that
the basic idea isn't *completely* nuts.

I think I'm looking for something a bit simpler from a mechanical and
engineering perspective -- keep the Mustang's engine and transmission basically
unmodified, and use the transmission in neutral to isolate it from the drive
system. (Yeah, there'd be some power losses from spinning the back part of the
transmission, but I don't think I'm going to worry about that.)

Knowing that you were able to successfully use engine vacuum to control motor
amps really helps. I'll be going with a modern motor and controller, so it'd be
a matter of getting a digital vacuum sensor and connecting it to the controller
(with any other inputs) and letting it figure it all out...but, again, that the
basic idea is sound is good to know.

I'm torn on the whole DC v AC controversy. All else equal, I think I'd much
prefer an AC motor (or motors). I know the DC motors do a better job at
handling high current at low speeds, which is why they're not off the table.
But, at the same time, the NetGain motors are (physically) BIG. That TransWarp
11, for example...the power specs make it seem ideal, but there's just no way
I'd be able to fit it in the car, assuming I was going to keep the engine and
its transmission. On the other hand, with not much enlarging of the tunnel, a
pair of AC-50s would fit between the transmission and the differential, with
about a foot of driveshaft still needed. Still, I'll get in touch with George
to get his take; thanks for the reference.

The spreadsheet you describe should help an awful lot. One thing in my favor,
though, is that I'm only looking for a couple dozen or so all-electric miles --
perhaps even just the minimal number of batteries to get to whatever voltage
the system is going to run at. That kind of range would take care of the
proverbial 80% of trips, and the engine (plus the motor in assist mode) would
take care of the rest. Again, in the same spirit as the Volt does things.

Thanks again!

b&