Cor van de Water wrote:

> I presume that you meant to say "unless it's very high in minerals"
> and luckily our water is the "softest" in the area. I grabbed the water
> report from the city and saw that our tap water has on average only
> 71 PPM (Parts per Million) total dissolved solids, of which
> 53 PPM calcium carbonate
> 12 PPM sodium
>
> The average Ph is 8.4 but varies between 6.5 and 9.4 since the total
> dissolved solids can vary between almost 0 and 109 PPM.
> That does mean that there are some impurities added to the cells, but
> not a large amount and since the amount of tapwater was approx 5% of the
> total fluid contents of the cell (my estimate) the total impurity level
> is about 3-4 PPM added total dissolved solids.
> I am no battery engineer though, so I do not know how bad that is,
> please enlighten me. Or time will tell...

Here is a Trojan whitepaper describing max allowable PPM for various impurities
and the detrimental effects of each:

<http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/WP_EffectOfImpurities_0612.pdf>

For your over-filled cell(s), I would just remove electrolyte from the cell
until the level is restored to normal.  If you don't, you are likely to lose
electrolyte during charge and use of the vehicle due to leakage out of the cell
caps.  Reserve this electrolyte and use it to top the cell up to normal level
at your regular watering interval until it has all been added back to the cell.

If you haven't yet driven or charged, then the liquid at the top of the cell is
likely almost all just the water that you added, with relatively little
electrolyte mixed in (the lower SG water will 'float' on top of the heavier SG
electrolyte that was in the cell to start with).

Cheers,

Roger.