Roger,
Thanks for the link to that whitepaper, very instructive and reassuring.
It appears that my relatively soft and clean "mountain water" (Hetch
Hetchy) should be no major problem for this one refill. I estimate that
the cells are still under 10% of their max allowed impurity for Calcium
(refilling ~5% with water containing 53 PPM Calcium). I did notice that
the pack seems a little "soft" (sagging deeper than before the watering)
but I think I remember that this is normal - due to the lower SG the
resistance of the cells is slightly higher. Before watering the
electrolyte is a little too concentrated, giving better performance -
but also more plate corrosion.
I did indeed remove electrolyte from the top of the overfilled cell with
a plastic syringe and deposited it in a bottle, clearly marked as
"Battery Acid" to avoid more dangerous mistakes. Now I just need to wait
and drive the car until the level has gone down enough from the
recommended 1/8" below the bottom of the vent well and at the next
watering interval (which is half year due to my sparingly charging, even
though I use the car almost every day) I should be able to put that
electrolyte back in and bring the level back (close to) to recommended
level.

Note that I did drive the car immediately after the overfill event, but
since I had fully charged the pack before, that only meant that the
level was dropping. I did remove electrolyte before charging again.
Due to my removing electrolyte while the cell was not fully charged, I
might have removed too little and the level is probably still higher
than the other cells. Hopefully the slightly lower SG will cause it to
lose more water than the adjacent cells. We'll see.
I have added a little "dam" of baking soda around the fill hole of that
cell, so if it spills during the end of charging, it should get
neuralized.
Other cells are occasionally losing a bit electrolyte also, while the
fill level of all is correct and none should have an issue during
charging.
But that is why I have baking soda scattered over the tops to catch some
of the electrolyte leaking.
I am not sure why one battery remains sealed and clean, while another
one constantly weeps elecrolyte. Probably a mechanical issue that the
seal of some fill holes is not seated properly. I am using the ganged
caps that allow all 3 holes to be opened/closed together.

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Skype: cor_van_de_water Tel: +1 408 383 7626