On Nov 19, 2014, at 6:22 PM, brucedp5 via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> Recently (over the last couple of weeks), the automakers that are pushing
> fcvs, spending money to provide copy to the media outlets so as to get their
> word out (anti-EV, HEY! Look at our fcvs, etc.).

I've seen a couple of those press releases (etc.) bubble to the surface, too. I
thought about commenting on one here, decided on the better of it.

I'll admit, it's neat technology. It's just a shame that it's always so damned
inefficient and typically so dirty, even if tailpipe emissions are clean.

In practical terms, it's really, really hard to beat gasoline (or diesel) as an
energy storage medium. And what so few people realize is that it's actually an
hydrogen delivery system. The chemical reaction in the internal combustion
engine is to combine the hydrogen in the gasoline with oxygen in the air,
forming water and releasing energy. The carbon in the gasoline is simply the
carrier for the hydrogen. In one sense it's wasteful and just gets in the way
and creates pollution; in another, it's what turns the hydrogen into a
convenient liquid.

You'd be really hard pressed to match the hydrogen density in gasoline by any
other means.

What interest me far more than fool cell vehicles is gasoline (etc.)
synthesized from atmospheric CO2 using solar energy. It's not efficient nor
cheap...but I consistently hear from various places that it would be profitable
when oil is at or below $200 / barrel. As such, it provides something of a
backstop on both the amount of oil we'll extract (why keep extracting dirty
low-quality $220 / barrel oil when you can cleanly make high-quality $180 /
barrel oil?) and the damage to our economy from extreme oil prices.

And, of course, the fuels made in this manner are carbon-neutral; burn the
carbon in the fuel and you just release back what went into making it a short
while earlier. Better yet, if we ever ramp up something like this to truly
industrial scales, we can eventually get to excess production levels and pump
those excesses back in the ground and thereby heal some of the damage done to
the atmosphere. And we wouldn't even have to cover a majority of the
residential rooftop surface area with solar panels to have enough power to be
able to do that and provide for all the rest of our energy needs.

Not sure I'll live to see that day, though....

b&