On Dec 21, 2014, at 12:23 PM, Peri Hartman via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> For example, using CO2 from power plant emissions in fracking doesn't help
> unless fracking has to use CO2 and the only other way would be to produce CO2
> specifically for fracking.

That's why I didn't use fracking as an example. And, best I know, most
commercial CO2 already comes from power plant emissions, so that's the CO2
that's already being used in the mining industry.

> Second, CO2 can't be converted into fuel (liquid or not) without using energy.

That's why I explicitly used the example of energy input from solar and wind to
turn the CO2 into liquid fuels.

> Anecdotally, regarding converting CO2 to diesel or other liquid fuel, it
> seems that would be less efficient than simply generating electricity to
> offset some other use of carbon based fuel for generating electricity.

Yes...but only if you've already got the electric vehicle and associated
infrastructure.

Which of these options would you prefer?

* A long-haul diesel truck powered by Saudi Arabian crude oil that costs $4 /
gallon to refuel.
* A long-haul diesel truck powered by oil refined from syngas made with solar
electricity from CO2 emissions captured from an existing coal-fired power plant
that costs $10 / gallon to refuel.
* A short-haul electric truck that costs twice as much as the diesel variants
and has a fraction of the range and load capacity that costs the equivalent of
$0.50 / gallon to recharge.

Now, there are certainly use cases today where the electric version wins...but
only a small minority. And, equally certainly, no business today is going to go
for the syngas-to-diesel version, save as part of a research project.

However, we're not that far away from a time when the Saudi diesel is going to
cost $8 / gallon and the syngas diesel $7 / gallon, at which point every
business is going to prefer the syngas as a no-brainer.

And that time is going to come before some trucks on the road today reach their
useful end of life, as well as before we've got batteries that are at a price /
performance parity with the diesel tank.

During that transition period, doing double duty with that CO2 is going to make
a lot of sense, _and_ it's much environmentally superior to what we're doing
today.

Cheers,

b&