From: "Ben Goren" <b...@trumpetpower.com>
To: "Peri Hartman" <pe...@kotatko.com>; "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Sent: 21-Dec-14 11:44:49 AM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] PNAS report cites study that EV's pollute more than gascars.

On Dec 21, 2014, at 12:23 PM, Peri Hartman via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

For example, using CO2 from power plant emissions in fracking doesn't help unless fracking has to use CO2 and the only other way would be to produce CO2 specifically for fracking.

That's why I didn't use fracking as an example. And, best I know, most commercial CO2 already comes from power plant emissions, so that's the CO2 that's already being used in the mining industry.

Second, CO2 can't be converted into fuel (liquid or not) without using energy.

That's why I explicitly used the example of energy input from solar and wind to turn the CO2 into liquid fuels.

Anecdotally, regarding converting CO2 to diesel or other liquid fuel, it seems that would be less efficient than simply generating electricity to offset some other use of carbon based fuel for generating electricity.

Yes...but only if you've already got the electric vehicle and associated infrastructure.

Which of these options would you prefer?

* A long-haul diesel truck powered by Saudi Arabian crude oil that costs $4 / gallon to refuel. * A long-haul diesel truck powered by oil refined from syngas made with solar electricity from CO2 emissions captured from an existing coal-fired power plant that costs $10 / gallon to refuel. * A short-haul electric truck that costs twice as much as the diesel variants and has a fraction of the range and load capacity that costs the equivalent of $0.50 / gallon to recharge.

Now, there are certainly use cases today where the electric version wins...but only a small minority. And, equally certainly, no business today is going to go for the syngas-to-diesel version, save as part of a research project.

However, we're not that far away from a time when the Saudi diesel is going to cost $8 / gallon and the syngas diesel $7 / gallon, at which point every business is going to prefer the syngas as a no-brainer.

And that time is going to come before some trucks on the road today reach their useful end of life, as well as before we've got batteries that are at a price / performance parity with the diesel tank.

During that transition period, doing double duty with that CO2 is going to make a lot of sense, _and_ it's much environmentally superior to what we're doing today.

Cheers,

b&