I thought that at freeway speeds the weight of the vehicle doesn't make much difference. But how "slippery" it is does. Unless, of course, you're going 186 miles all uphill.
Peri

------ Original Message ------
From: "Lee Hart via EV" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
To: "tomw" <tomofreno2...@yahoo.com>; "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Sent: 18-May-15 11:40:19 AM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] EVLN: Open Source Street-Legal affordable long-range EV4the masses

tomw via EV wrote:
At over 4700 lb Tesla is hardly the benchmark for efficiency. My 2260 lb ev 5 1/2 year average energy use is 216 Wh/mile from the wall, with about 50% travel on highways at 55 - 65 mph. Charger efficiency, measured several
times, is 0.91, so that's about 197 Wh/mile or 5.1 miles/kWh excluding
charger losses.

That excellent, Tom. Remind me again what your EV is?

A range of 186 miles for my vehicle would require about a 46 kWh pack, assuming 20%
DoD...

Should that be 80% DOD (i.e. 80% of the capacity of the pack used)?

This vehicle is supposed to be lighter than mine, but still likely will need significantly larger than 24kWh pack for 186 miles. I expect like others
gone before it will not be completed, but there is always some hope.

There is hope for going 186 miles on 24 KWH. It just requires a very efficient design that is scratch-built as an EV, and not just an IC conversion or other car built with the same heavy steel construction as ICEs.

For example, the Solectria Sunrise went over 200 miles on a charge with its 26 KWH nimh pack on *many* occasions, and even exceeded 300 miles with James Worden hypermiling at the wheel.
-- A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is
        -- Antoine de Saint Exupery