Paul,
It is true that in series string the same *load* current goes through all cells,
but the principle of self-discharge is that it occurs internal to the cell, so
it is
invisible to the outside world except when you measure each cell (or blow them
up
due to overcharge or under-discharge).
I have actually measured cells and seen the self-discharge.
As you say, it is a small effect in good cells.
But still, there is about 1:2 difference in self-discharge between the cells I
monitor
and the differences add up over time.
It might not be a problem in the first year or even in the second.
Then in the 3rd year you try to squeeze an 85 or 90% discharge from the cells
and boom - one reverses (or more) and it is destroyed and you might only find
out from the
fireworks when you try to charge it the next cycle or when you drive it.
Oh BTW - one reason to monitor *all* and *every* cell is exactly the issue with
the infamous bottom-balancing without BMS approach:
Some of the cells that I have were abused and too deeply discharged.
Guess what happens? They become a resistor.
Some are "low" resistance which is OK when they resemble a wire, others are
still
"in doubt" whether they want to become a piece of wire or rather a heating
element.
This has at least 2 disastrous effects if you do not detect this immediately:

1. The pack voltage has dropped and each cell now gets a much higher finish
charging
so you might have been charging conservatively with all cells in the string,
but with
some cells "removed", all the rest is dividing up the difference and may easily
be charged
to destruction now!

2. If charging does not harm the pack, what about discharging hundreds of Amps
through a
resistor that is nicely embedded in the pack, insulated from the outside by the
cells
around it? If it even drops 10V across it at hundreds of Amps, you now have a
multi-kiloWatt heater inside your pack without much cooling. What do you think
will happen?

Just some easy illustration of the *need* for a cell-level BMS, from practice
by measuring
what happened to a used set of Lithiums (that indeed was run without BMS) and I
have been
monitoring since taking it out of service. Learn from it or get your own
experience, your choice.

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Proxim Wireless

office +1 408 383 7626          Skype: cor_van_de_water
XoIP   +31 87 784 1130          private: cvandewater.info
www.proxim.com

This email message (including any attachments) contains confidential and
proprietary information of Proxim Wireless Corporation.  If you received this
message in error, please delete it and notify the sender.  Any unauthorized
use, disclosure, distribution, or copying of any part of this message is
prohibited.