I think it’s been said before but basically you are saying that you can be your
own BMS and not spend the money on a physical system.  That may be true and you
may be able to get away with it for a long time but if you get complacent or
someone else is driving your vehicle who does not understand things like ‘its
feeling sluggish I need to STOP now’ you will eventually run into the reason
for having a BMS and may have a damaged battery pack as well.

The effect of this is very dramatic in my NiMH packs on the R/C car, the time
from full performance to sluggish decreases with each full cycle.  You need to
stop, let the batteries cool and then trickle charge or fully discharge and
recharge them to regain full performance.  The chargers for my R/C batteries
all have the ability to run charge/discharge cycles, voltage limits on top and
bottom, over charge timers and for the LiPo cells they monitor each cell during
charge and discharge to prevent over or under charging.  This cell monitoring
on the LiPO’s was added specifically because too many people had fires in their
packs when trying to charge the cells in series when they became unbalanced.

In summary, the problem is real, the severity may be variable and how well you
can manage without probably depends as much on you as anything.  The BMS
ensures that if you forget or aren’t watching when things start to go wrong it
can catch the problem either deal with it or let you know before the pack is
damaged.  All commercial vehicles have a BMS and cell level monitoring, I
suspect that tells us something, if it could be left out they would save the
money and leave it out.

Your comment on parallel cells is a bit misleading as well.  Cells in parallel
will self balance, the capacity will be related to the weakest cell but you
won’t see one cell at a lower voltage than the others.  The stronger cells will
dump charge into the weaker one keeping them all at the same state of charge
but affecting the overall capacity.  So the BMS monitors modules in a series
string - each module may be a single cell or group of cells in parallel.

Lawrence