Ed was so gracious to allow me to test-drive his Leaf, must have been
more than 2 years ago, and the impression that I came away with is that
it pretty much drives very similar to my Prius, even including the
slight motor whine which I find interesting but not a problem at all, an
ICE makes more sound than that motor whine and this is a way of the car
telling me that it is working for me - an ICE revs up and shakes; an
electric produces a slight whine.
Initially when driving my Prius around and hearing that whine, I had to
check my mirrors to see whether this was a police siren as the pitch and
the change of the sound can occasionally sound similar to that, but now
I recognise the faint sound and welcome it as part of the sounds that my
Hybrid makes, especially when delivering its instant torque or regen
braking
and I suspect that are also the moments that the Leaf sound will be most
noticeable.
Having driven a Hybrid (Prius) and EV for most of my daily driving in
the past 12 years, I am always surprised how much more noise a regular
ICE vehicle makes and how I in my EV am sitting in total quiet and even
hear the motor of Hybrids around me turn off while waiting at the light
while people in their noisy ICE need to turn the volume of music or
hands free phone conversation way up to hear their partners, while I can
have a conversation at normal low volume in my car. That is probably
also why the Leaf seems noisy, because it does not have a noise maker to
cover the road noise.

Besides that it can contribute as to what tires you are running, I have
had different experiences with different tires on the same car. Most
manufacturers spec a too low tire pressure so that you get a soft and
quiet ride, but pump the tires to the pressure that they have a long
life (you can easily have a difference of 2 times in tire life, between
recommended and optimal pressure!) and the ride becomes harsher and
noisier. Besides that, some tires are noisier by design (not deliberate,
but they are).
I have just installed new tires on my Prius and am still surprised how
much quieter this tire is compared to the old ones.

Regards,

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Proxim Wireless

office +1 408 383 7626                    Skype: cor_van_de_water
XoIP   +31 87 784 1130                    private: cvandewater.info

http://www.proxim.com

This email message (including any attachments) contains confidential and
proprietary information of Proxim Wireless Corporation.  If you received
this message in error, please delete it and notify the sender.  Any
unauthorized use, disclosure, distribution, or copying of any part of
this message is prohibited.