On 11/13/15 10:37 AM, Peri Hartman via EV wrote:
This is getting OT but I want to point out that the instrumentation
issue goes beyond the SOC meter.

- all buttons for radio, heat, settings, etc. look virtually identical;
you have to memorize them before you can safely drive the car.  All
labels are text with no or minimal graphics, so you have to actually
read them rather than identify by shape or icon.

True, but the physical control grouping is mostly helpful and easy to become accustomed to, for me. Radio controls on the left (except for tuning controls), menu stuff on the right. The temp controls are color coded.

On the left side of the dash, left of the wheel, I don't change those controls while driving except steering wheel heat, which is a bit awkward since it's to the right of that group and behind the wheel.

Here's a pic that shows the top part of the center dash controls:

http://www.nissanusa.com/content/dam/nissan/vehicles/2016/leaf/colors-photos/interior-photos/004_large.jpg

- in order to view the temperature setting you have to change the
temperature - you can't just view the current setting.

True, although if you have the status screen showing, the temp display may persist (I'll have to look next time I drive).

- There is no virtual (on screen) buttons for graphically setting which
vents should blow air - you have to cycle through.  Well, sort of -
there are some convoluted operations for turning on defrost...

True, there's one button for cycling through the vent options, and the screen shows the options as you are cycling.

There's a separate button for windshield defrost and another for rear window defrost, that's easy enough. To get heat to hit the windshield ongoing, the cycling button isn't that hard to use.

- The steering wheel controls have micro sized font on them which can
only be seen in direct sunlight.

True, but the control grouping/physical locations make them easy to use, once you know what they do.

- The map application is utterly useless.  I won't enumerate here but I
can probably list a dozen significant faults.

I use it rarely, but it can be useful for seeing the names of cross streets coming up. If I didn't have my phone I'd use it more, but the phone is better.

- The car has two clocks which run entirely independently and must be
set through two different mechanisms.

Good point.

- Settings, such as the resetting the trip odometer or the average
mile/kwh, are controlled from a small obscure panel below and to the
left of the steering wheel. Very hard to see and there are only four
buttons so you spend a lot of time clicking to cycle through options.
Not a good idea to do while you're driving.

True. I only really use the upper left button, and rarely, since I mostly leave it on the percentage-of-charge display option.

- What else?  These are off the top of my head !

Setting the timers is a bit cumbersome.

So yes, the LEAF's dash could be improved. I don't find it to be horrible, though. What car has nailed these issues for comparison sake? What should Nissan look to as an example of dash controls done right?

For me, the 2013+ percent-of-charge display is something I would really miss in the 2011/12 models.

And despite some valid criticisms, I think the heat/AC, radio and cruise controls (what I use most often), are reasonably easy to find and operate. I wouldn't dissuade anyone from buying a LEAF based on the dash controls.

Cheers,
 -Jamie
 www.JamieKrutz.com

Peri