Michael Ross via EV wrote:
Here's what you need to SWAG the utility of PV panels on the truck...

Michael starts out strong, but wanders off before getting to the final result. Let's try again.

Let's pick a PV panel as a test case. A quick Google search to "buy PV panels" takes us to http://sunelec.com/solar-panels. Most big panels today have an advertised "peak power" of 200-300 watts. They are roughly 3 feet x 6 feet (about the most you can get on a car or pickup), and cost around $200-$300 ($1 per watt). Let's say we pick one advertised at 250 watts peak.

Now, how much sun do you get in your location? NREL publishes maps with the effective number of hours of sun per day averaged over a year. Here's one copy of the NREL chart:

http://understandsolar.com/calculating-kilowatt-hours-solar-panels-produce/

I live near Minneapolis MN, so I effectively get 5 hours per day. Obviously, the sun is up much more than this, but is only a full brightness at noon. This factor corrects for the lower output in morning and evening when the sun is at an angle.

So, if this PV panel is optimally positioned, it produces 250 watts x 5 hours = 1250 watthours = 1.25 KWH per day. But it's not optimally positioned. On a vehicle, it's going to be lying flat, so the sun strikes it at an angle. So take half of this value, or about 600 watthours per day.

How far can your EV go on 600 watthours? EV efficiency is usually around 200-300 watthours per mile. For a pickup truck, let's use the high end, or 300 watthours per mile.

Thus, we can drive 600/300 = 2 miles per day on solar power. :-)

With care, you can do better. If careless, it can be even less!
--
Knowledge is better than belief. Belief is when someone else does
your thinking.  -- anonymous