On Wed Jan 13 07:05:47 PST 2016 ev@lists.evdl.org said:
>Meaning you may decide initially to go with the lower cost lead-acid (PbSO4)
>flooded batteries (i.e.: 24 T-105's in a box in the truck bed) but also
>consider what-if later you went for the taller t-145, or upgraded to li-ion

Nowadays, there is pretty much NO reason to start with lead-acid.  Li-ion don't
cost that much more up front, are smaller, lighter, and last FAR longer.

>Having an e-meter in the dash cluster than can tell you how much energy
>capacity you have left or charge you still need, etc. is a very useful item.
>Here is one, see
>https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Xantrex+Link+10

I've been using one of these:
http://www.lightobject.com/Programmable-Digital-AH-meter-blue-led-Ideal-for-battery-monitoring-P278.aspx
The main difference I've found from a Link-10 is that it doesn't auto-reset
after charging.  I have to press a button to do that.

>Like my Blazer was, your older pickup is a heavy inefficient donor for
>conversion. So, I suggest you have a drive system that has regen (has an AC
>motor and controller). Regen can gain a few miles, but its other gain is in
>using the friction brakes a whole lot less (they last longer).

It also depends on your driving pattern.  95% of my trips involve 2 stops,
driving 8-20 miles, 2 more stops.
Not much useable regen at all.
DC drive was a FAR less expensive option.

>Your ice pickup has about a 90hp engine. For the same performance you ought
>to have at least a 144VDC pack. There are several sources for EV components.
>Shop around do not limit yourself to what I use as examples. Here is a
>144VDC peak 88hp AC motor/controller kit, see
>http://www.electricmotorsport.com/ev-parts/motor-drive-kits-2/ac-induction-motor-kits/ac-51-kit.html

AC Drive, Max of 88 HP for $4600
DC drive system (Warp 9, Z1K), Max HP 200+, for $4000
  (also, can handle a WIDE voltage range, which allows a much broader range of
battery pack configurations.)
  I'm using a pair of Impulse 9" (should have used Warp 9") motors, and a Z2K.
  Provides nice acceleration for my 6300 lb truck.

--

Tigers prowl and Dragons soar in my dreams...