Good to see this post.
As an electrician who has done many of these retrofitted and a few new
construction EVSE circuit installations, I tend to agree with most of the
advice given. I have found that the easiest way to explain the idea to most
potential EV owners is to describe it as a welding outlet (something that
has been a common addition to garages for a couple of generations now). As
for the 6-50 issue, I agree that it is a good choice, but a raised cover
with a grommet for the cord to be sliced inside the box works well too. The
plug type cord is usually at least $10 more than those without. For the
past couple of years,
I have recommended the use of #8 wires as a standard, with a 40 Amp 2 pole
breaker, 30 Amp 2 pole if they are using a smaller charger.

-Tom

On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 5:27 AM, dovepa via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> That is interesting because I purchased a Siemens VersiCharge Gen 2 30 Amp
> charger and it had a NE MA 6-50 plug on the end.
>
> Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone-------- Original message
> --------From: Cor van de Water via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> Date: 3/7/2016
> 3:18 AM  (GMT-06:00) To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List <
> ev@lists.evdl.org> Subject: Re: [EVDL] EVLN: What You Need To Know To
> Wire A Garage EVSE
> Sorry, but I think this is bad advice.
> NEMA 6-50 is not the most common plug. The NEMA 14-50 (RV plug) is by
> far the most useful plug, found in every camping and RV spot, it is used
> for stove or other appliance connection in newer homes (old homes had
> 10-50 or 10-30 for stove and dryer respectively) so I do not know why
> 6-50 is recommended in this article? Are there other areas than what I
> am aware of
> where NEMA 6-50 is common? I could not find them and Wikipedia says of
> the
> NEMA 6: "The higher-current versions are rare..."
> I am only aware of somewhat common use of the NEMA 6-20 which is the 20A
> version that looks like the usual NEMA 5 outlet and plug, but then used
> on window ACs that run on 240V instead of 120V.
>
> I would *definitely* recommend to mount a 14-30 or 14-50 where you want
> to plug in the charger, since that is also useful for the common
> appliances such as a dryer and you can even plug in an RV.
> Conversely, if you mount a 14-50 plug on your charger and carry it, you
> can plug in at any campground or other RV facility.
>
> Cor van de Water
> Chief Scientist
> Proxim Wireless
>
> office +1 408 383 7626                    Skype: cor_van_de_water
> XoIP   +31 87 784 1130                    private: cvandewater.info
>
> http://www.proxim.com
>
> This email message (including any attachments) contains confidential and
> proprietary information of Proxim Wireless Corporation.  If you received
> this message in error, please delete it and notify the sender.  Any
> unauthorized use, disclosure, distribution, or copying of any part of
> this message is prohibited.

Remember, it is not that the glass is half empty, in reality, the glass is
merely twice the size that it needs to be! -TNT'82