Peter C. Thompson wrote:

> I didn't claim that it made any sense.  :)  I agree that having the
> 14-50 plug in the garage makes a lot of sense (which is what I have -
> for welding, of course).

I think the use of NEMA 6-xx connectors makes sense given that the J1772 EVSE
is a 240V *only* device, and so has no need for the neutral connection provided
by the NEMA 14-xx receptacles.  If you install a NEMA 14-xx receptacle, you
must run 4-conductors rather than the 3 required by the NEMA 6-xx receptacle.

If you already have a receptacle of suitable ampacity installed, then it makes
sense to change the plug on the EVSE to match (cheapest option).

If you plan to haul the EVSE around with you and plug in a RV sites (I believe
a minority of EV owners fall into this category), then using a similar
connector at home (or making an adapter cable) is practical.

With respect to invalidating the UL marking on the product, I believe that as
long as you do not *open* the unit the UL marking remains valid.  That is,
changing the plug on the end of the cord is (I believe) fine, but if you open
the case and replace the entire cordset (e.g. it is sometimes cheaper - and
easier - to buy a range or dryer cordset with the NEMA 14-xx plug molded on
than to buy the NEMA 14-xx plug on its own), then the UL mark becomes invalid.

This is why some products locate a terminal strip or similar connection means
for the AC cord outside of the product under some sort of small cover.  You can
then attach/replace the AC cord without opening the product.

As was hinted at in an earlier message, the UL marking is based not only on the
product itself but also the production/assembly process, and so if the product
is opened for service or repair outside of an approved service facility, then
the UL mark becomes void.

Disclaimer: I am not a regulatory expert; this is just how it has been
explained to me. ;^>

Cheers,

Roger.