From: EV [mailto:ev-boun...@lists.evdl.org] On Behalf Of Peter C.
Thompson via EV
Sent: Monday, March 07, 2016 2:40 PM
To: ev@lists.evdl.org
Subject: Re: [EVDL] EVLN: What You Need To Know To Wire A Garage EVSE

Hi Cor,

I didn't claim that it made any sense.  :)  I agree that having the
14-50 plug in the garage makes a lot of sense (which is what I have -
for welding, of course).

Cheers, Peter

On 3/7/16 10:05 AM, Cor van de Water via EV wrote:
> Thanks Peter, for the overview of what plugs the EVSE are supplied
with. My issue is that you want to be able to plug the charger into a
matching wall outlet and by my experience the 14-30 and 14-50 are the
most common outlets so I do not understand why so many chargers have a
6-50 plug even though it is simple to cut it off and mount a 14-50 on
the cord, it still does not make sense to expect people to install a
6-50 where they most likely already have a 14-50 and you encounter the
14-50 when you are out and about as RV outlet.

<ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

>> To add to this conversation, here are some commercial chargers:
>>
>> Clipper Creek LCS-20P - uses 14-30 plug. LCS-25P also uses 14-30. The
HCS-40P uses the 6-50.
>> GE  EVWSWBC-CP01 uses the 6-50 plug.
>> AeroVironment EV station (7kw) uses the 6-40 plug.
>> Juicebox 40A uses the 14-50 plug.
>> AeroVironment Turbocord uses the 6-20.
>> Levitron EVB40-PST uses the 6-50.
>> Nissan Leaf charger uses 6-50R.
>> EV Power Pros 7kw uses 6-50.
>>
>> The hard-wired chargers can use the plug of your choice - as long as
the current capacity is sufficient.

>> So I think it depends on the amount of current you are going to pull.
Lower current seems to use the 14-30 and higher current uses the 6-50.

>> Cheers, Peter
>>
>> P.S.  sorry for the HTML earlier.
>>
>>> On 3/7/16 5:27 AM, dovepa via EV wrote:
>>> That is interesting because I purchased a Siemens VersiCharge Gen 2
30 Amp charger and it had a NE MA 6-50 plug on the end.

>>> Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone-------- Original
message --------From: Cor van de Water via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> Date:
3/7/2016  3:18 AM  (GMT-06:00) To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List
<ev@lists.evdl.org> Subject: Re: [EVDL] EVLN: What You Need To Know To
Wire A Garage EVSE
>>> Sorry, but I think this is bad advice.
>>> NEMA 6-50 is not the most common plug. The NEMA 14-50 (RV plug) is
by
>>> far the most useful plug, found in every camping and RV spot, it is
used
>>> for stove or other appliance connection in newer homes (old homes
had
>>> 10-50 or 10-30 for stove and dryer respectively) so I do not know
why
>>> 6-50 is recommended in this article? Are there other areas than what

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1100526_how-to-wire-a-new-garage-for

>>> http://images.hgmsites.net/lrg/garage_100546966_l.jpg

http://images.hgmsites.net/lrg/nema-6-50-plug-in-socket_100546961_l.jpg

http://images.hgmsites.net/lrg/circuit-breaker-box-showing-240-volt-circ
>>> uit-for-electric-car-charging-station_100546963_l.jpg
>>> Circuit-breaker box showing 240-Volt circuit for electric-car
charging
>>> station
>>> ]
>>>    One of the more daunting perceived obstacles to driving a plug-in
>>> electric
>>> car seems to be the need for a home charging station.
>>>
>>> While plug-in hybrids can be recharged overnight using their
120-Volt
>>> charging cords, battery-electric drivers should really have access
to a
>>> 240-Volt Level 2 charging station.
>>>
>>> Those will recharge the full battery pack in anything from 4 to 9
hours,
>>> depending on the specific car.
>>>
>>> Many owners will want to retrofit a charging station into an
existing
>>> garage, but to lay out the principles, we're starting with what it
takes
>>> install one into a garage that's being built or extensively
remodeled.

>>> We've just gone through that process for a new garage in New York's
>>> Catskill
>>> Mountains. (Note this applies only to North America!)
>>>
>>> There are several steps, but it's important to understand that the
>>> wiring is
>>> the first step, and separate from the charging station--since
drivers
>>> may
>>> later choose to upgrade to a more powerful station.
>>>
>>> First, work with your contractor and electrician to install a
dedicated
>>> 240-Volt line to 1 or 2 feet below wherever you plan to locate your
>>> charging
>>> station.
>>>
>>> We sited ours in a corner of the building so a car can be recharged
>>> inside,
>>> or we can run the cord out underneath the garage door or through the
>>> regular
>>> door on the side of the building.
>>>
>>> Many contractors won't have any prior experience with electric-car
>>> charging
>>> stations, so you may have to educate them.
>>>
>>> The easiest way to put it in context is that it's the same kind of
>>> circuit
>>> used for electric clothes driers or stoves.
>>>
>>> Second, make sure your new circuit is capable of 50 Amps, which
means a
>>> 40-Amp charging rate (using 80 percent of the circuit capacity).
>>>
>>> Even if your first charging station is only capable of 24 Amps (as
many
>>> less-expensive ones are), you'll want to "future-proof" your garage
>>> wiring.
>>>
>>> Third, tell the electrician to install a NEMA 6-50 socket--the one
used
>>> by
>>> most charging stations that aren't hard-wired--in the wall below the
>>> chosen
>>> site.
>>>
>>> One electrician we spoke to preferred hard-wiring, which eliminates
>>> resistance heat between the plug and socket, but we wanted to allow
the
>>> charging station to go with us if we move.
>>>
>>> Fourth, once you have your garage wired, THEN select your charging
>>> station
>>> and bolt it securely to the wall.
>>>
>>> Most people will buy a new one; we were lucky enough to have a used
one
>>> given to us by Green Car Reports contributor and electric-car
advocate
>>> Tom
>>> Moloughney, who was upgrading. (Thanks, Tom!)
>>>
>>> There are more than a dozen charging stations on the market today.
>>>
>>> They can be bought directly from the makers or found at big-box
stores
>>> like
>>> Best Buy, Home Depot, or Lowe's--from their websites if not
necessarily
>>> in
>>> stock at your local outlet.
>>>
>>> Things to keep in mind:
>>>
>>>   - Look for at least 24 Amps of charging capability; 40 Amps is
best,
>>> but
>>> more expensive
>>>
>>>   - Charging rate should be at least 7.2 kilowatts, which will
handle
>>> both
>>> Chevy Volts (3.3 or 3.6 kW) and higher-rate cars like Nissan Leafs
and
>>> BMW

http://venturebeat.com/2016/02/28/how-to-wire-your-garage-for-electric-c