I'm not sure why this keeps coming back to roost. Some people on this list
may recall the same conversation back in the spring of 2011, where I
contacted Nissan about the 80% issue. I received a phone call from one of
the engineers in Tennessee. He understood my confusion and expressed some
frustration at their end, explaining that they designed the on board
battery management system to protect the batteries. Doing so by never
letting the batteries charge above 80% (which shows as the full 100% on the
instrumentation), and never discharging below 20% (which shows as 0%).
Explaining that if you let the battery pack get below 10%, it would
typically brick (not allow a charge), and above 90%, that your could
experience a thermal even ( Thermal runaway & fire).
The final recommendation from him was to discharge the pack to 10 miles or
so in range (according to the instrumentation), and fully recharge about
once a month to "refresh" the battery. I followed his advice, and after 39
months and 56,000 miles, (the end of the lease), the pack was still above
98% capacity, which seemed to surprise the service department at the
dealership where we turned it in at.
I suspect that some of the degradation that we experienced may have been
due to some of the fast chargers that we used toward the end of the lease,
but have no way to be sure of that.

Tom True

--
Remember, it is not that the glass is half empty, in reality, the glass is
merely twice the size that it needs to be! -TNT'82