As I recall, the 2011 Nissan Leaf that we had made a Jetson spaceship type
of sound at low speeds. Not very loud or obnoxious, but definitely not
sound that was produced by the drive train. I asked the dealership about
it, and was told that it was a voluntary action in a proactive effort by
Nissan, expecting such requirements at some point in the future.
By the way, I find the blind argument offensive...I grew up with 2 blind
friends. They could tell you how fast a bicycle was approaching, let alone
a car just from the tire noise...It is the pedestrian blinded by
electronics technology that we need to concern ourselves with!

-TT

--
Remember, it is not that the glass is half empty, in reality, the glass is
merely twice the size that it needs to be! -TNT'82