Hi Thos,
Yep, early Leafs have noise maker that can be canceled (but just like the
communication warning, returns after the next time starting).
I believe this was so that the vehicle can be sold in countries where a noise
maker is allowed (or required) but needs to be muted at night.

The blind person argument you describe is set in dead silence, the city street
situation is set in a surrounding with a lot of other noises masking the quiet
sound of slow rolling tires.
There are plenty reports about this and while it is possible for an attentive
person in a quiet street to hear all traffic approaching (I actually rely on
this when I am riding my bike) it is not possible to depend on this in noisier
environments and that is where the noise maker comes in.
Note that the noise maker is not making a lot of noise, it is not your
neighborhood jacked pickup truck that everybody recognises from waking them
while they sleep, it is just a small hiss as if the tire has a leak. It does
not penetrate a wall, unlike the sound of a straight pipe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95O14kUgmBI

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Proxim Wireless

office +1 408 383 7626                    Skype: cor_van_de_water
XoIP   +31 87 784 1130                    private: cvandewater.info

http://www.proxim.com

This email message (including any attachments) contains confidential and
proprietary information of Proxim Wireless Corporation.  If you received this
message in error, please delete it and notify the sender.  Any unauthorized
use, disclosure, distribution, or copying of any part of this message is
prohibited.