Peri Hartman via EV wrote:
While there are obvious virtues to have EVs emit sounds, and I will not
oppose the effort, what can we do to ensure the sounds are quiet enough
and pleasant?

It's always seemed to me that my EVs make plenty of noise (tires, wind, transmission and differential gear noises, motor whine, controller whistles, etc.) without having to add any explicit noisemakers. They're about the same as most new ICEs. Some luxury ICEs are even quieter.

Now, I don't expect the rulings to call for something that obnoxious.
But still, without some pushback, we may increase the amount of noise
from our current levels. That would be bad, in my opinion.

If we're going to set some new standard, I think it should apply to *all* vehicles, ICE as well as EV. That will prevent EV-haters from legislating obnoxious standard *on purpose* to discourage EVs. It would also put the general public on our side, as they don't want their ICEs to be deliberately made noisy or obnoxious.

--
It is the responsibility of every American to be informed. Those who expect to be both ignorant and free, expect what never was and never will be. -- Thomas Jefferson