I have a similarly sized GE motor, and it takes about 30 amps to run with no
load. However, it overheats my 30 amp power supply if used for too long, and
the motor needs about 50 amps to start turning.  You can start them
with a 12v battery in parallel with the power supply for a few seconds if the
PS won't start it on its own.
One older EV I had failed due to a commutator crossover link short to the motor
case inside the motor.   Made a lot of copper snot when it violently melted at
about 40 mph. But ultimately repairable
for relatively cheap.
You should not have a low resistance reading between the case and any field or
comm winding terminals; if so it might indicate a problem. Higher resistance
usually indicates carbon dust inside the motor, and open rarely is seen on a
well used DC motor. Low resistance between field terminals, or between winding
terminals is OK (in general - but doesn't rule out a short).
My present EV blew a fuse once due to water getting into the charger after a
hard rain (a real oddball).
One other item to check - There is the possibility that one of your HV cables
has rubbed through the insulation, and is shorting to another HV cable or the
vehicle frame someplace.

Tom Keenan