Hello Jay,

Another test you can do, is take a ohm reading at the motor terminals.  Rotate
the motor by hand and see if the meter shows a pulse as it rotating.

Then disconnected the motor controller leads from the motor.

Next, take a reading from each motor terminal to the motor housing.  A new
motor that is brush dust free, should read about 20 megohms or as a open
circuit. I do this every time with a new motor or when the motor is clean.

In about 10 years of running it is common this reading will get down to about
30 Kohms, then its time to clean the motor with a motor cleaning solution you
can get from a motor shop.

Pull back the brushes off the commentator and take a another ohm reading of
each motor terminal to the motor housing.  No resistance reading will tell you
that the field windings are ok.  A resistance reading will tell you which field
winding is grounded to the motor housing by a field winding or it may be just
brush dust.

Then insert each brush in each brush holder and check the resistance to the
motor housing of each brush.  Be sure to remove that brush before you test the
next on.

I found a shorted commutator bar in my motor, pull the commutator and had a
local motor shop repair it.  I also took the motor housing to them and have
them check the field windings that I seen was pressing against the end  motor
bells which press wires flat.  I had them clean the housing of the motor,
re-enamel the windings.  Also I had the entire inside surface of the motor
enamel coating so as to insulated the inside of the motor housing from any
tracking of the brush dust.

It is very common for the brush dust to travel down the face of the commutator
and down to the motor shaft.  I also had them enamel  the front of the
commentator down to the motor shaft and on the motor shaft up to the motor
bearings.

Do the resistance test of the motor again, so you have a future comparison
test.  I normally do this test about once a year or when I see my motor ampere
is a little higher at a recorded rpm.

Roland