Tom,

Several remarks and a bit of data here:
8kW genset is usually not capable of continuous duty 8kW output.
To cruise 55 MPH on flat road will take approx 15 kW continuous.
Most cheap gensets emit the same or more pollution as 100 cars, if that
is a concern to you.
The simplest way to have a low emission, efficient, cheap and long range
vehicle is to keep a gas car for the occasional long trip OR to rent a
vehicle for those occasions.
Decent used Prius'es can be had for under $2k but since it will be used
for occasional trips only, a regular car can work just as well.
Rental cars can be had for $25 for a weekend when business travelers are
not using them.

Use the EV for what it is good at and the other 5 or 10% of the time,
use a different tool. Just like you don't use a sledge hammer to drive a
thumb tack in the fridge bulletin board and you don't use a pencil to
tear down a wall.

So - yes, it can be done. Find a way that you can charge and drive at
the same time, use the battery to bridge moments of high energy use and
dimension the genset for the average power the you want to be using, or
make frequent stops to allow the genset to catch up charging the pack,
but note that it may be illegal to leave the genset running while parked
(depends on the local laws) and you will likely be appalled by the noise
and stink that your otherwise so silent and odorless EV is now belching
out...

Another solution without genset is the pusher-trailer.
It is constructed from the front clip of a front wheel drive car with
automatic gearing and it only requires a tow hitch on the EV. Only in
case you want to make a long trip do you hitch up the pusher, if you add
a remote start/stop and accelerator control then you can get on the
road, kick it on and let it push the EV at your desired speed until you
are close to your destination, then stop it and finish the last bit on
EV power again.
If your vehicle has regen braking then you can even recharge your EV
while being pushed...

Hope this helps,

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Proxim Wireless

office +1 408 383 7626                    Skype: cor_van_de_water
XoIP   +31 87 784 1130                    private: cvandewater.info

http://www.proxim.com

This email message (including any attachments) contains confidential and
proprietary information of Proxim Wireless Corporation.  If you received
this message in error, please delete it and notify the sender.  Any
unauthorized use, disclosure, distribution, or copying of any part of
this message is prohibited.