Lawrence - In this case, I choose to support the manufacturer, UMC-J1772.

QCP is buying them from UMC-J1772 in volume at a discount and then reselling
them
at the same price as QCP. I could, as TucsonEV, done the same thing, but chose
not
to. One of my reasons is that there is the real danger of somebody who doesn't
know what they are doing (there are many EV owners that don't know what they
are
doing), might plug it into a supercharger and his Leaf might do something very
unexpected... as Willie pointed out.

UMC-J1772 states on their home page that they are the manufacturer of the
TeslaTap
etc...

What do you mean by your 'one with exposed pins....' statement? Can you be a
little clearer? Are you stating that they are different products, that one has
been modified? How do you know this? Have you actually inspected one from QCP
and
one from UMC-J1772 to verify this?

Rush Dougherty
www.TucsonEV.com