From: "Mark Abramowitz via EV" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
To: ev@lists.evdl.org
Cc: "Mark Abramowitz" <ma...@enviropolicy.com>
Sent: 20-Dec-18 5:49:16 PM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] OT: Keeping hydrogen for transportation “cleaner” (GHG emissions) than the grid

Sorry, that last part should read “though unintentionally”

- Mark

Sent from my Fuel Cell powered iPhone

 On Dec 20, 2018, at 5:37 PM, Mark Abramowitz <ma...@enviropolicy.com> wrote:

 Some of you know that I’ve been an advocate for BEVs for a number of decades,
and of hydrogen fuel cell EVs (the “other” electric vehicle) for a bit less.

 In my day job, I recommend and advocate major funding of both battery
electrics and hydrogen fuel cell applications.

 One of my many volunteer roles (“working for free” as Bruce would put it) is
serving as Immediate Past Chair of the California Hydrogen Business Council.

 As some of you may know, the renewable content of hydrogen used in
transportation exceeds that of the grid. And the industry itself is on a path
of 100% carbon-free hydrogen .

 Not long ago, the Hydrogen Council, made up of the CEOs of leaders in the
industry, released a formal policy supporting 100% carbon-free in
transportation hydrogen by 2030. This is 15 years before the 100% carbon-free
grid date of 2045 adopted by the California legislature.

 Tomorrow a release will go out announcing the support of this policy by the
California Hydrogen Business Council.

 The adopted language follows.  For those of you who have completely misstated
the facts, though intentionally, I hope that you will read it carefully.

 December 18, 2018

 CHBC Endorses Full Decarbonization Goal of Hydrogen in Transportation by 2030

 The California Hydrogen Business Council (CHBC) on behalf of its members is
pleased to endorse the commitment of the Hydrogen Council to the goal of
decarbonizing 100% of hydrogen fuel used in transport by 2030.

 The goal was announced by the Hydrogen Council on September 14, 2018 at the
Global Climate Action Summit in San Francisco, hosted by Governor Brown:

 “The Hydrogen Council, a global CEO coalition bringing together 50+ leaders in
the energy, transport and industry space, is committed to an ambitious goal of
ensuring that 100% of hydrogen fuel used in different modes of transportation
is decarbonised by 2030. We are therefore calling on governments to build a
global alliance that will create the necessary regulatory frameworks to help
make this commitment a reality. Transport may be our first target, but with
right level of support we will see positive effects across many sectors. We
believe hydrogen can play a key role in the clean energy transition and we are
ready to work together with governments to help create the right technical,
financial and legislative environment that will enable decarbonised hydrogen to
scale up.”

 Through this commitment to the 2030 goal, hydrogen for transportation can
achieve full decarbonization 15 years ahead of the SB 100 mandate of 100%
carbon-free electricity by 2045.  Attainment of the stated goal of 100%
carbon-free hydrogen fuel by 2030 will maintain the position of hydrogen fuel
cell electric drive as the lowest-carbon alternative among electric drive
solutions.
 The hydrogen industry is committed to helping California dramatically reduce
emissions despite increasing transportation demand by providing a clean fuel
that has proven itself in both on- and off-road applications and is emerging as
an important alternative to diesel in marine, rail and port applications.