On 14 Nov 2019 at 5:50, paul dove via EV wrote:

> Those are all hybrids .... you would need to compare them to a hybrid
> motorcycle

No, they're not all hybrds.  The Honda Civic VX (52mpg), Honda Civic CRX HF
(62mpg), and Chevrolet Sprint (53mpg) are all conventional ICEVs.  The
Sprint even has a carburetor!

There are probably dozens more totally conventional ICEVs that have gotten
44mpg and more.  But they're no longer being made.  Modern ICEVs are grossly
overpowered, and much less efficient than they could and should be.

The reason for that is that most auto buyers

(1) no longer care about efficiency;

(2) insist on land-yacht-style luxuries that add weight and burn up energy;

(3) want vehicles big enough to haul around a literal ton of stuff; even
though they're usually driven empty; and

(4) have been convinced by ads that they need to be able to accelerate to
60mph in less than 10 seconds.

Besides, you missed my two main points from later in the post, and might
again.  Maybe you should try using something with a more readable screen
than an Iphone. :-)

(1) Comparing cars and motorcycles isn't all that useful, because they're
such different vehicles and are used so differently.

(2) The mpg-equivalent of e-motorcycles vs conventional MCs is a more useful
comparison, and at about 460mpg-equivalent, at least one e-motorcycle
outdoes Harley's 44mpg by more than 10 to 1.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator