Hey Rob..

Hopefully you recover quickly and ready for that EV project.

With regards using the 240W solar to charge the HV battery; that may not be
that easy if you want to do that Straight DC to DC:

- First you will need to have an efficient DC-DC step-up converter from
20-40Vdc into something around 300-400Vdc with MPPT feature. (Not easy to get).

- Then the most complicated part you’ll have to wake certain modules up from
the Volt (BCM, HV charger, BMS and maybe a few other) so it can properly track
the energy being generated by your solar panel.

   But that won’t be easy. In fact, it will be quite complex since all these
modules requires to see the AC power from the EVSE, sense the pilot and
proximity signals in order to close HV contactors. And those conditions may not
exist or if they do, may set Trouble codes since no AC will be present.

    An idea just came to my mind,  very very basic but efective suggestion
would be: to build a box with a considerable size 12.8V LiFePO4 battery, an
‘Off the shelf’ solar charger controller and a 1.5Kw 12v-120v AC inverter to
generate Level1 enough to use the Volt onboard charger.

    An internal automatic inter connection in between the inlet charge port can
be made, so nothing can be seen from outside while charging from solar.

    The solar panel will continuously charge the 12.8V lithium pack all the
times. When enough charge and vehicle is turned off, it can start L1 charging
the car. When the charge on that lithium battery goes low, the charge
controller will automatically cut off the output but the solar will continue to
charge the battery to a minimum set point, after some minutes/half hr. output
will re-enable and L1 charge re-start for a few minutes again.

    This process can go over and over as long there is sun and car requires the
charge. It’s not the best and most efficient way but will work with no problem.

Marco

Sent from my iPhone