Robert Bruninga via EV wrote:
I was going to use a simple 12v inverter to 120 VAC and then 2 diode, 2
capacitor voltage doulbler to 330 VDC at 600 mA or so max, straight to the
Volt battery.  No activation of Volt's BMS.  Safety is provided by a
pushbuton activation latch that can only be turned on when I know there is
room in the battery for 4 miles or more and sun is shining.  When the sun
goes down, the latch falls out and any subsequent days, will not activate
unless I push the  button when there is the 4 miles range available at the
top.  So all I need to find is the tap point directly to the battery before
the contactors.  Fuses and diodes will also be used.

That should work as well. If you use a halfwave doubler circuit (the one with a series capacitor in one AC leg), it has an intrinsic current limit, defined by the value of that capacitor.

I like your idea of an automatic shutoff. When I've done "bad boy" chargers like this, I've included a spring-wound timer that shuts it off after X hours. That way if I forget, it still turns itself off.

Just be careful! Make it as fool-proof as you can (because fools can be so darn clever). As Marco says, there are lots of opportunity for mistakes in this setup!

Lee Hart
--
Results! Why man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several
thousand things that won't work. -- Thomas A. Edison