Ing. Marco Gaxiola via EV wrote:
An idea... build a box with a considerable size 12.8V
LiFePO4 battery, an ‘Off the shelf’ solar charger controller and a
1.5Kw 12v-120v AC inverter to generate Level-1 enough to use the Volt
onboard charger.

That's a good "off the shelf" solution that shouldn't require any internal hacking on the commercial "black boxes".

But, I think Bob is a pretty good hacker. So another option would be to open up a 12vdc-to-120vac inverter. Most of them have a boost converter to step up 12vdc to about 300vdc. This normally powers an internal DC-to-AC inverter for the output; but you could bring it out as HVDC, and use it directly to charge the pack.

You'd have to find the resistor divider that sets the 300vdc output voltage, and trim it to produce a safe maximum for charging the HV pack. Be Safe! Be sure to use HV rated connectors and fuses, and a fail-safe method to prevent overcharging.

Lee Hart
--
Results! Why man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several
thousand things that won't work. -- Thomas A. Edison