FWIW I did some simulations using PVWatts 2 a while back to see if it made
sense to have a panel facing east and another facing west, like you
describe(tilted to match latitude).  I was hoping this would result in a
flatter power output through the day.  Turned out that in almost all cases it
was better off to have both panels facing south(tilted to match latitude).
More power across the whole day and obviously more daily energy produced.