On 7/30/20 2:45 PM, Haudy Kazemi via EV wrote:
On Thu, Jul 30, 2020, 12:51 Willie via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

On 7/30/20 9:29 AM, John Lussmyer via EV wrote:
On Thu Jul 30 09:49:15 PDT 2020 ev@lists.evdl.org said:
On 7/30/20 7:03 AM, Robert Bruninga wrote:
Yes, that looks promising..  How much is the 3 or 5kw model?

https://www.ecodirect.com/Phocos-3kW-24V-Any-Grid-Hybrid-Off-Grid-Inverer-p/phocos-psw-h-3kw-230-24v.htm

https://www.ecodirect.com/Phocos-Any-Grid-5kW-48V-Hybrid-Off-Grid-Inverter-p/phocos-psw-h-5kw-230-48v.htm

I'll be interested once it's proven that you can use a battery pack for
the PV input, AND not have a 48V battery pack attached.

I'd look at the Delta first.  It's cheaper and immediately available.
In addition, there is a great deal of uncertainty as to exactly what it
wants for a battery; it was designed for a not available Tesla battery.

The recent use has been just as a straightforward grid tie inverter.
The seller has started advertising that it will produce grid down PV
power without a battery.  I've tested just a little but not yet had
success.

I am not convinced from a skim through the
SolarCity H6 manual that this inverter can supply AC output power when
there is no grid, and simultaneously no battery. Only a few inverters can
pull off that balancing act. SMA has one that does it via the Secure Power
Supply feature, and Enphase's IQ8 is supposed to be another.

Most likely the inverter can operate without a battery if it is dumping
power on the grid. Adding the battery gives the inverter a place to source
and dump power that at the time it is needed, that the solar cannot
provide, and the loads cannot use.

I am also not convinced. A recent test failed. I will test more but I am going on the word of the seller who claims it is so. However, the seller has been silent on the details of his experiments.

The SMA, I think, is of little use.  Only ~1500 watts at 120vac.