EVDL Administrator via EV wrote:
On 30 Jul 2020 at 10:58, Robert Bruninga via EV wrote:

no mention of 240 VAC two phase?

I'm not an EE, but I don't think that such a thing exists anywhere, at least
not as commercial power.  The US does have 240v split phase, but that's
single phase.

I don't think 2-phase power is distributed in the US; but it is still widely used to power motors. The "permanent split capacitor" motor in your furnace, A/C or refrigerator is in fact a 2-phase motor, where the second phase is produced by a capacitor in series with the AC line. The current in a capacitor is 90 deg. phase-shifted from its voltage, which provides the second phase.

Such motors are smaller, lighter, cheaper, more efficient, and smoother than single-phase motors. It's a bit like comparing a 1-cylinder to a 2-cylinder ICE engine; the latter is much better.

Lee Hart

--
A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is
        -- Antoine de Saint Exupery