On 3/27/21 7:22 PM, EVDL Administrator via EV wrote:
On 27 Mar 2021 at 17:10, Willie via EV wrote:

thus far, even after factoring in my charging cost at home, I have
saved $20,515 in gas.  Having free supercharging of course helps.

An impressive amount, but I don't think that your supercharging is really
free.  As I understand it, you effectively paid for it in the original price
of the car.  It's similar to the way that today's "connected cars" have the
cost of their always-on cellular connections bundled into the cars' purchase
prices.

To determine how much you've really avoided spending on gasoline, you'd have
to know what portion of the car's original price bought your Supercharging
access.

The comment on SuperCharger "freeness" was not mine; it was part of a quote from a Connecticut guy that was primarily commenting on battery longevity.

I do not challenge your quibble on the use of "free" and many times substitute "included" myself.

Is there any way to determine that?

Briefly, the S60 (60kwh battery) was offered both with and without included SuperCharging. The price difference was $2k. This was about 2012-2014. Tesla has gone through several steps in phasing out included SuperCharging. My 2013 S has transferable SuperCharging. Were I to sell, the new owner would also have included SuperCharging. Cars since that era have been sold with not transferable SuperCharging; the perk disappears once Tesla discovers that the car has been sold. I don't believe Tesla has sold any cars with included SuperCharging in several years. AFAIK no Ys and very few 3s have been sold with that perk. My 3 was offered with included SuperCharging during the year end push of 2018; the offer was made only briefly and only on 3Ps. That is the primary reason I bought a P.

Tesla has pledged not to attempt to make SuperCharging (along with service) a profit center. The charging fees seem to be about twice the cost of the energy supplied. Which, considering the cost of the SuperCharge sites, seems VERY reasonable to me. I've had some minor experience paying for SuperCharging with my first 3. Charging cost for around 100 miles worth of energy seemed to be around $5. That would be about $.05/mile; in this area ($.10-.12/kwh), home charging cost less than $.03/mile. I imagine that there are others here that can give more detail on cost of SuperCharger use. Ideally, energy would be metered at SuperChargers and sold by the kwh. In most areas, that is not legal so some time metering scheme must be used instead.