From: "Willie via EV" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
To: ev@lists.evdl.org
Cc: "Willie" <wmckem...@gmail.com>
Sent: 21-Apr-21 3:41:01 AM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] From my nissan leaf .com: Why the Leaf 12v system undercharges the 12v battery.

On 4/20/21 8:52 PM, Lee Hart via EV wrote:

I agree with -Phil-. I think lithium is the wrong choice for the 12v battery. It's
expensive, offers no advantages, and "cures" a problem that doesn't exist.

Here is a relevant anecdote:

My 2013 Tesla S ran through 12v lead batteries at the rate of about one every
12 months.  That was of no great concern to me while the batteries were under
warranty.  However, after the first three, that part of the warranty expired
and I bought a lithium with LFP cells.  The leads would have cost me around
$200 to replace and the lithium cost about $400. The lithium has been
completely trouble free for about five years now. And is still in service.

Now it is possible that Tesla has corrected, or more likely reduced, the
problem via software updates.  There is quite a range in reports of Tesla lead
battery longevity; mine is on the poorer side; many report several years of
life.  But, if early history was indicative of future performance, I have saved
several hundred dollars, maybe around $500, by using lithium instead of lead.
Not to mention quite a bit of cost and pain that is associated with 12v battery
changing in early Ss.  Changing an early S battery can be a half day job.

Seems like I have recently read that Tesla has finally decided to start using lithium for
12v.  When I needed to get my lithium installed, Tesla service refused to install the
"unauthorized" part.