I have definitely seen failures of the DC-DC (PCS) in Tesla Model 3's from
people installing aftermarket Lithiums.  The load dump problem is real!   I
have one sitting here that I did an autopsy of.  (Blown FETs on the primary
side, that then took out the HV feed into the PCS)

A PCS failure in the Model 3/Y takes out the entire charging system, so
maybe not as expensive as in a Leaf, but still not worth it!