On 21 May 2021 at 21:22, Jim Walls via EV wrote:

> Because you didn't want to drive some postage stamp vehicle...
> Or you like me NEED a full size truck...

Tradespeople in every other major industrial democracy do fine with trucks
as little as half the weight of our pickups.  US prickups carry less cargo
per unit of energy used than work vehicles (usually vans) almost anywhere
else.  They're grossly oversized, grossly overpowered, grossly wasteful.

The majority of people who own these enormous trucks don't need their full
capacity every day.  Many use that capacity a few times per year at most.

The rational answer to that situation is the station car concept.  Instead
of owning a vehicle, you pay for the right to use the vehicle you need day
to day.  M-F you might commute to work in a subcompact EV or midsize plug
hybrid.  Every so often you swing by the depot after work on Friday and swap
it for a pickup truck or van, so you can haul plywood from the lumberyard
for a home project.  Monday morning you get your EV back.  Twice a year for
2 weeks you sign up for a 7-place van or ute or even a camper, so you can
haul the family on vacation in relative comfort.

But that won't fly here, because while I doubt that it's true of most
EVDLers, many big pickup owners don't really own their vehicles because they
need them.  They own them because the size and power appeal to their
antisocial, aggressive emotions.

The truck manufacturers know that, and deliberately design them for that
appeal.  Just look at them - massive slablike front ends attached to
comically small beds, huge wheels, roaring exhausts, beercan-size chrome
plated phallic tailpipes.  Compare them with the practical, economical vans
that European and Asian tradespeople drive.  Heck, compare them with the
more reaonable and practical pickups that Americans drove in the 1960s.

Don't misunderstand me. I think it's good that Ford is going to build an EV
pickup.  It's just that they could have made it so much more rational.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     The only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world
     of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.

                       -- Richard Nixon, "Real Peace"(1983)